Humanitarian Affairs & Leadership (Internship)
Haiti Air Ambulance (Ayiti Air Ambilans) is the first and only philanthropic air medical service in the country of Haiti. HAA brings together humanitarian partners, healthcare providers, and governmental agencies to ensure a coherent response to humanitarian disasters and to strengthen access to healthcare and health equity. Haiti Air Ambulance’s mission is to expand healthcare security and access, provide emergency helicopter services to the people of Haiti, provide an adequate framework for natural disasters and humanitarian crises, promote preparedness and prevention, offer community education, create jobs and foster an environment of social growth and sustainability in Haiti.
The major programming service provided by HAA is the Air Ambulance Program. HAA is Haiti’s first and only helicopter emergency medical service. Its primary mission is to offer emergency medical helicopter transfer to those who are critically ill or badly injured in Haiti.
The Air Ambulance Program is composed of three (3) program components, namely:
Medical and Emergency Transport Services
The main program service offered by Haiti Air Ambulance is its medical and emergency transport services. Generally, HAA transports patients, via helicopter, to the hospital or facility best equipped and available to receive them in coordination with network partners, determined by the referring doctor in agreement with the patient.
Disaster Response and Management
In line with Haiti Air Ambulance’s comprehensive approach in providing medical and emergency management assistance to the people of Haiti, the organization provides classes and training to local Haitians in disaster response and management, coordinates and responds to disasters and acts as a convening leader to facilitate effective crisis response.
Technical Education and Training
Haiti Air Ambulance prioritizes not only the direct impact it has on providing emergency and medical services but also gives focus to its social impact. Training, classes, and workshops are conducted by HAA in order to maintain quality and effective programming services at the same time in compliance with regulatory policies.
The intern, under the general guidance of the Chief Executive Officer, perform a variety of tasks, depending on the internship period, including but not limited to:
- Engages in processes with international partners and in-country partners to improve health outcomes and improve funding in humanitarian affairs;
- Supports planning and organization of meetings and events;
- Attends and reports back on partner and funder meetings, events and informal consultations;
- Assists in drafting and preparing background documents, reports, issue briefs, talking points, presentations etc. on humanitarian issues;- Researches, analyses and presents information gathered from diverse sources on assigned topics/issues related to humanitarian and other relevant policy issues;
- Maintains awareness of current humanitarian affairs and related issues, to include relevant political, policy, gender considerations or other developments in Haiti and the broader Caribbean;
- Responds to a variety of inquiries and information requests internally and externally and prepares related correspondence;
- Contributes to digital engagement, gathering and editing of content;
- Maintains updated media, partner and supplier contact lists;
- Design and layout of factsheets and infographics for social media;
- Produces engaging and informative content for social media to increase public awareness;
- Independently performs thematic research and analysis;
- Participates in project/program reporting;
- Develops or participates in the development of campaigns;
- Participates in department planning meetings;
- Participates in the planning and organizing of department and delegation events.
Knowledge and understanding of humanitarian, emergency relief assistance and related humanitarian rights issues. Ability to identify issues, analyze and participate in the resolution of issues/problems. Ability to develop sources and conduct data collection using various methods. Conceptual analytical and evaluative skills to conduct independent research and analysis, including familiarity with and experience in the use of various research sources, including electronic sources on the internet and other databases. Ability to apply judgment in the context of assignments given, work under pressure. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating diverse perspectives
Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships by gaining their trust and respect; identifies needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the environment to stay informed and anticipate problems; meets timeline for delivery of products or services in service of HAA’s mission.
Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
To qualify for an internship with HAA’s international humanitarian affairs program, students must be enrolled in a university program focused on international relations, political or social science, public administration, disaster management, emergency response, or humanitarian affairs.
No working experience is required to apply for the HAA Internship Program. Your training, education, course work or skills should benefit HAA during your internship.
English, French, and Creole are the working languages of HAA. For this internship, fluency in English (both oral and written) is required. Knowledge of Spanish is desirable.